Neerja

It’s been 8 days since I went back to Optimax for my lens explant, the worst experience of my life! I am still in disbelief, and I was scared and dreading the procedure but I knew that I had to go through with it even though it was the last thing I wanted.

Before I underwent the implant surgery in 2005 I was informed that the ICL could only move out of place if I received a blow to the eye, but so many years later I have now been told that it can be dislocated by simply rubbing the eyes.  Why was I not told this beforehand?  I was misinformed and given a false sense of security.

Before my explant surgery I was given anaesthetic drops and an injection in the eye, but I could see the procedure being performed, which was invasive and horrific.  After the surgery my left eye was swollen and I was unable to open it all until the next morning.  I was so afraid that I would never be able to see through it again.

When I did eventually open my eye the next morning it was completely blood shot, so I kept the eye guard on for several days as I didn’t want to frighten my children.

It has been a very long week and I am now left with good vison in my right eye and poor vision in my left eye.  I have been told that I can wear a contact lens in my left eye after a month.  But in the meantime I have to cope with this imbalance of vision, and try to get on with everyday life, which is really difficult as I am experiencing double vision and headaches.

The whole experience has left me feeling very low and I question how this was allowed to happen, if I was informed of the ECC risk I would have continued to attend yearly appointments at Optimax rather than with my optician. This risk and the implications were never discussed with me prior to my surgery, and I don’t know if I would have gone ahead if they had been.

So entirely due to lack of communication on Optimax’s part I find myself in the situation I am in today.

+1